If you are buying your first home, this is likely the first time that you are buying homeowners insurance. When you look at a quote for the first time, you may notice that you see only a short list of coverages, which are the main ones that people often consider. What you do not see is the sub-limits on the policy, nor the available options an enhancements. This is why you work with a member of our team. If you are not familiar with some of the terms or questions listed here, our team will be happy to take the time to review them to help you find the balance of price and coverage that meets your personal needs.
What should I consider when buying homeowners insurance?
- is the dwelling coverage sufficient to rebuild my home in the event of a total loss
- how much extended replacement coverage do I have, if any
- are my contents covered with “named peril” or “open peril” coverage
- is water backup from a sewer, sump pump, or drain covered or excluded
- how are separate structures treated and do I have enough coverage: gates, fences, gazebos, and more
- what coverage broadening packages can I add
- what if I rent a room or the home to someone else
- should I buy earthquake and flood coverage – as these are commonly excluded from a policy
- do I have enough liability coverage to protect me?
- should I consider an umbrella for added protection and what requirements are there
- is animal liability coverage included / excluded – for pet owner
How can we help?
Our team is ready to help you with you insurance by:
- helping you understand the coverages that are available to you
- locating discounts, such as those for new or first time home buyers
- bundling your home, auto, boat, motorcycle, golf cart, and umbrella
- helping you shop multiple carriers with a single call (or click)
- forwarding your policy information to your lender or escrow